Monday, October 06, 2008

Windy City


Every once in awhile I get a bee in my bonnet to go somewhere. Last week I decided I really wanted to go to the Shedd Aquarium. Evie has been with her grandparents but I never have. Thanks to Priceline.com we got a fantastic hotel room within easy walking distance of the museum campus.



Anyway, back to the story. We spent Sunday afternoon walking around downtown and hanging out at Millenium park. We came across a crazy exhibit of future technology, had the usual fun with the mirror sculpture and then headed back to our luxury den.



Today we were at the Shedd before it even opened. Turns out they are amidst major construction and none of the marine mammals were available to see. We did see a lot of cool stuff including a dive in the Wild Reef exhibit. I wasn't as blown away as I thought I might be but we had a great time. Particularly fascinating to both of us was the display about the Amazon and the flood vs. low water times.

We popped over to The Field Museum for a walk through of the Ancient Egypt exhibit (our favorite) then decided we were "museum-ed out" and took a water taxi back to our hotel, hopped in the car and headed home.




Just a note to all you frugal unschoolers out there, "Name Your Own Price" on Priceline.com has got to be one of the best secrets out there for low-cost amazing travel. We needn't talk numbers, but let's just say we got our room for less than 1/4 the usual rate. When we checked in we even got upgraded and ended up in the "luxury" section, complete with private elevators, our own lounge complete with free food, down comforters, two bathrooms and 8 pillows. I don't get paid by Priceline to talk them up but maybe I should, we have always had FABULOUS luck with them!

We went on a Shedd discount day and used our Milwaukee Public Museum membership to get into the Field Museum-excellent!

1 comment:

denise said...

Looks like fun! I went to college and then also worked for many years right in that area. My sisters still live in the city...don't go there often with tiny kids, but am excited to have the chance to visit all of the awesome Chicago museums once they are old enough to make it a day! :)

Great photos. I've been missing Chicago.