Tuesday, December 05, 2006

celebrations

Every year, around this time, I lose about 7 pounds. In this time of endless krumkake, gingerbread houses and cold temperatures it seems odd. I lose weight at this time every year because I am so damn happy. That's right, celebrating makes me lose weight. Winter is a cold, dark, bitter, quiet time. Humans in the northern climes had ot think of something to pass the time. There was no food growing, the sun was around less and less each day--what did they do? They found reasons to celebrate.

For us, Thanksgiving is the inagural event. It is turning colder, the harvest is in, it is a time to reconnect with close family. Then we celebrate all sorts of little things: the first snowfall, putting out the squirrel feeder, decorating the house, making gingerbread etc.

Tomorrow is St. Nicholas day. We will do something kind (and anonymously) for a stranger because that is what St. Nicholas did. Then we will do it again and again because it is so fun to think about bringing people joy. I usually pick the recipient, Evie picks the act. This year it is anonymous muffins to an elderly neighbor.

What is the point of all this? I want to remind people to celebrate! Revel in your friends, revel in anticpation and preparation. Keep secrets, create things, roll in the glitter that is life. This is the only life we get, if we don't enjoy the journey and take full advantage of each moment, what is the point?

Go eat chocolate, decorate something, kiss your loved ones, watch a funny movie, make a snow fort and make it a day well lived!

2 comments:

Rinnyboo said...

"Roll in the glitter that is life."
I love that idea!

I have been reading and enjoying your blog now for a couple months. I live in NC with my husband and my son Ian. We are unschoolers. Ian was also born on March 20(2004)! We love Scotland too. My husband and I were married at Dalhousie Castle in Bonnyrigg (near Edinburgh) in 1999.

I just wanted to say hi and tell you that I like your blog.

Thanks,

Marin Holmes

Tara said...

Thank you for your inspiration both with St. Nicholas day and the season as a whole.
My son Owen and I will be choosing someone today for a random act of kindness and giving!
Many blessings to you and your family.

Tara