Monday, September 11, 2006

Something Sweet

We were up VERY late last night (see previous post). Scott and I got up early to say "good-bye" to our houseguest, he was lovely! I went upstairs to get dressed and Evie looked so sweet all cuddled up with her blankets and animals forming a cocoon around her. Neighborhood kiddos had been in school for almost 2 1/2 hours by the time my pumpkin opened her eyes and joyfully greeted the day.

My day was already in full swing. I was determined to bring some of my vast cookbook collection up from the basement. I was even more determined to find some yummy recipes to get us out of our rut! I was making a shopping list when Evie came down and she started to look through books too and mark what looked good to her. After going through a book devoted to hot chilis and marking about 12 things she started in on the "Betty Crocker Cooky Book." This is an original one, not a reprint, with my grandma's fabulous notes in the margin. I LOVE this book!! Evie was marking about every third recipe and eventually happend upon glorious page 64--in full color there stood a magnificent cookie house.
"Mama! Can we make this?" she asked in full "just-woke-up" glowiness.
I did not want to make this house. I did not want to go to the store for candy. I did not want to build the structure. I did not want any of us to sit around eating candy all day (maybe on a Thursday, but Monday? Come on!! LOL!) Then I thought about it. "What is the big deal?" I said to myself, "You always want her to come up with projects, here is a project." She could see me hesitating.
I said "To be honest I don't really feel like saying 'yes' and I can't think of any good reason to say 'no'"
"Well then let's just say 'yes!'" She squealed.

Duh! Why didn't I just say that in the first place! :) She found cardboard, made up a design, figured out an ingenious way to make the side triangles fit the roof (way simpler and more effective that I would have!) She made a list of candies and cookies we would need and off we went.

Here are our results:




A sweet day well lived!

No comments: