Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Who can balance Charlotte Mason?

On Monday I had the opportunity to sit down and upload a bunch of pictures. I also had time to catch up on a few of my favorite blogs like this one and this one. In so doing I once again ran across the teachings of Charlotte Mason.
I love many aspects of her "method"-- teaching from "living books," books that spark the imagination with vivid and whole characters and plots. I love her idea of using narration as a way to build reasoning and organizational thinking skills. I do not love the Christian religious angle nor the complete lack of world literature in book lists associated with her method. Of course I am not looking for a curriculum, we live life and do what suits us. I would like to, some day, have a compilation of all the tidbits, reading lists, manipulatives etc. that have worked so well for all of us. Charlotte's idea will be in there, so will the ideas of Maria Montessori, Joseph Chilton Pearce,Sandra Dodd , my parents etc. etc.

I would love to hear from more of you. Who or what inspires you in this great journey of life?

Looking forward to a day well lived!

No comments: