Monday, February 20, 2006

Conflict

I had a crummy weekend. I don't blog much when I am feeling crummy because I am NOT in a "share the good news of unschooling" kind of mood. I love to watch Evie at trapeze class on Saturdays. I am also beat down from work on Friday and worried about getting all the housework done on the weekend. Scott just wants to relax and do his own projects. He should get to do some of that, so should I. This weekend I found myself wishing he would initiate something spectacular with Evie. Imagine something, build something, talk about something--they did some of that.

This morning I woke up still grouchy and with that unmistakable "oh my god what if I am screwing up my kid" panic. Why isn't she picking up long complicated books and reading them effortlessly? Why doesn't she build scale models of historic buildings? Why isn't she a violin prodigy? Should I be making her do workbooks? Should I drill her in phonics? Should she have chores and assignments and schedules?

Then I exercised and watched more of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind Damn! I want a daughter like that princess . . . oh wait . . . I might have one already! Then we snuggled and finished three books we were in the middle of: The Witch Who Was Afraid of Witches, Magic or Not?, and The Angry Elf which Evie read to me perfectly competently (although I still wished it were effortless). Then we ate lunch. Then we went and saw The Peking Acrobats. We have seen them before, we will see them again. We have seen variations of most of their acts in various Cirque du Soleil performances. Evie was transfixed. She applauded . . . loudly . . . she never applauds. She hooted . . . she never hoots. She told me she has a few new things to try on the bed tonight. She told me she is pretty sure she can do a no-handed cartwheel now . . . she is 5 years old. Then we went cross-country skiing. She had her picture taken for the local paper for the 2nd time this year (8th time in her life). Are we being stalked by paparazzi? No, we are out living in our world. Then she went to find friends and I haven't seen her in two hours. I don't know what we will do tonight.

I am in conflict. Was yesterday better? Or was it today? I can't wait to try tomorrow on for size!

A day well lived!

No comments: