Monday, April 06, 2009

Musings

I am planning to run the 2009 Madison Marathon. The last time I ran a marathon was 2004. I had always planned to run a marathon when I turned 30, so I did. I was never a runner before. When I was done I said, "Well, I think I will do that every 5 years!" Suddenly it was 2009 and I said "Oh @#$%^!" (that configuration of symbols is called a "grawlix" by the way). So, I am, once again, putting one foot in front of another--again and again and again. Training is WAY harder this time, I am excited and REALLY nervous.

I have gone a bit "garden crazy" this year. I have 24 tomato plants "holding in the sun" (as Evie used to say) and I gave my four broccolis and four romanescos bigger homes today. Our community garden plot is new to us this year--the turf reclaimed it and we have A LOT of work ahead of us. I am hoping to plant more around home too. We certainly have the compost and mulch! The Spring chores are always fun and a bit daunting!

We have been so busy with "activities" for so long I sort of feel like Evie and I have to re-establish our "being together" ways. It was so easy to pull out something new (literally or figuratively) when she was three, she is so capable and well-read now it is hard to be as interesting! I do wish she would write more, she is good at expressing herself verbally, because she is not forced to write in school every day the physical act of writing and the habits of spelling are not yet easy. I know this is a common struggle in homeschooling families--I just continue to trust that it will come, just as all other skills have, as long as I don't get in the way.

Keep on keepin' on!

No comments: