Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Note About "Education"

From The Quest of the Fair Unknown (The Squire's Tales):

"Please, knight," Beaufils asked. "what do you mean 'educated'?"
The knight grinned. "Yes, I can see that might be a new concept to one raised alone in the woods. One advantage of your childhood would be that you escaped education."
"But what is education?"
"It's a horrible time when you sit in a bleak room wishing to be outside while dusty old people try to teach you to read and do sums and so on."
"Oh, I can read," Beaufils said. "Mother taught me how." Then he frowned and added, "But she must have done it wrong, because I thought it was fun."
The red-bearded knight nodded solemnly. "Yes, I'm afraid she did it wrong. Lucky you."


I am chuckling . . . and cringing.

No comments: